Weekly Announcements: 8/27 — 9/01
See the band calendar and more at: http://www.smelancerbands.com
Mon: 7‑period Tues : 7‑period Wed: ODD classes Thurs: EVEN classes (Late Start) Fri: 7‑period
Marching Band Zero Hour rehearsals continue every day but Thursday.
Water bottle donations
– Help the band stay hydrated! Please donate one (1) case of water per student. This water will be used for parades, marching festivals, pep band, and events throughout the year. Please drop off in the band room this week.
Band Merchandise Store:
– This is the last week to place your order for General SME Band Gear AND the KC Jazz Marching Show shirts. The online store closes on Friday, August 31. Orders will be delivered around September 15. Be sure to place your orders before the the deadline! https://smeastband2018.itemorder.com/sale
Marching Band: Sectionals Tuesday, 8/28, 6:30-8:00pm
– Mandatory sectionals & rehearsals will run each Tuesday through October
Italy Trip: Special Event with London/Rome delegation Wednesday, 7pm, Band Room
– Executives from our travel company and dignitaries from London & Rome will be present Wednesday to present the SME band with an “official” invitation to the Rome New Years parade. Local media has been invited to spread the word to the greater KC community about our trip!
– All students, parents and chaperones are requested to attend. The event should be relatively quick, less than an hour. Opportunity to meet our travel company executives and spread some good PR for the trip.
– Passports are due — please send in a copy or scan/photo & email to Mr. Toepfer, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not received your passport, please send a copy of your drivers’ license.
– Next payment deadline: $750 due Friday, 8/31. Mail or send in checks to the band office, 7500 Mission RD, 66208.
Fall Sports Pep Assembly Thursday, 8/30, Seminar
– All marching/cadet students report to band room after 2nd hour
– No special attire necessary; make sure band shirts are clean for Lancer Day
Lancer Day Parade & Football Game #1 Friday, 8/31
– ALL marching/cadet band students — Attire for whole day: Blue band t-shirts, band hats, neutral-colored shorts (black/grey/white/etc)
– Marching the SME halls: 7:30am
– Parade call time: 1:30pm
– Game call time: 5:15pm
– See full detail itinerary below
Logan Lowrey Care Fund
– See details below Lancer Day itinerary
Lancer Day Parade & Football Game #1
ALL marching/cadet band students
Parade Route: Mission Road south from 75th to Village Shops
Game: SM SOUTH district stadium, 5800 W. 107th St
Attire for whole day: Blue band t-shirts, band hats, neutral-colored shorts (black/grey/white/etc)
Band Parade Theme: 80’s Workout! Spandex, headbands, channel your inner Olivia Newton-John.
– 1:30pm: Excused from class. Change into theme attire OR be in your blue band shirt and attire mentioned above
– 2pm: Parade begins. Route: 75th & Mission to the village shops
– Play for beginning of pep rally at clock tower in the village
– Equipment truck will transport large instruments back to SME
– Walk back or secure rides back to SME. Finished by 3pm
– All large instruments and front ensemble (tuba/drumline/baritones/tenor saxes) lined up for equipment truck after parade
– 3:00-5:00pm: Break. Dinner on own OR pizza provided by band boosters in band room. Supervision between the game Please RSVP so we can order the appropriate amount: https://goo.gl/forms/VCYPu0R8z9LUDwTv2
– Call time: 5:15pm, band room
– Assist with truck loading and logistics, load buses
– 6:00 — buses arrive at SM South
– Marching & Cadet Band: Combine for pregame performance, 6:50pm
– Halftime Show: Marching Lancers perform movements 1 & 2 of KC Jazz Show
– 9:00-9:30pm: Return to SME
– If you play an instrument, you are responsible for it. Parent volunteers and truck drivers are not responsible for carrying your instruments in and out of the band room. This means that after the event is over, YOU are responsible for putting the instrument away. Yes, you!
Logan Lowrey Care Fund
Logan Lowrey, a sophomore saxophone in Band and member of the Blue Notes Jazz Ensemble, was diagnosed last year with Osteosarcoma (bone cancer). Logan has been courageously fighting the cancer for a year and a half, and is now facing extensive chemo treatments, double lung surgery, and possible arm surgery.
Logan is caring, with a huge heart and spirit. Despite her illness, Logan has been a dedicated member of the Band, and cherishes her role in it.
A caring fund has been set up to help the family with expenses, as Gina (mom) is nearly living at the hospital with Logan, while Logan’s younger brother (Garrett) stays at home with a nanny. The family of three try to eat dinner at the hospital together each evening.
If you would like to contribute to assist in Logan’s care, please donate to:
LOGAN LOWREY CARE FUND
C/O FIRST NATIONAL BANK
4200 W. 83 RD ST., SUITE 100
PRAIRIE VILLAGE, KANSAS 66208